Police Report Related FAQs

How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

Please contact the Police Department Prior to coming in for a copy of any report

  • You may obtain a copy of an Incident Report Form involving an incident in which an officer completed an official report. However, you may only have information that pertains to you! There may be information contained in the report that is considered privileged information and not considered public information. This may only be released once the investigation has been closed out. Requests for information are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
  • You can submit a Records Request Form to the Police Department M-F from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, excluding holidays.
  • There are administrative fees associated with many requests, so please contact the Police Department for more information. If the information you are requesting is subject to a fee, we must receive the fee prior to processing your request.

I was in an accident. How do I obtain a copy of an accident report?

  • You may obtain a copy of an official Accident Report that the officer completed if you were an operator of one of the vehicles in the accident, or the owner of a vehicle involved in the accident, or an injured party. Accident Reports may be obtained during regular office hours and only if no charges are pending against any driver and the investigation has been closed out.
  • Insurance companies requesting Accident Reports on behalf of their clients who were involved in the accident may receive the report if the company is authorized to write policies in the State of NH.
  • Attorneys representing clients in a civil action who were involved in the accident are required to go through the State of New Hampshire to obtain a copy of the report.
  • Accident Reports are considered part of a person’s driving history and are protected by law.
  • There are administrative fees associated with many requests, so please contact the Police Department for more information.

I was in an accident and need the other person’s insurance company. How do I get this information?

If a police report was done, and if the other person has insurance, that information should be noted on the accident report. We will give you this information if you are the driver and/or owner of one of the vehicles in the accident.

I need my accident report case number for my insurance company. Can I get this?

Yes. Give us a call and with your name and the date/location of the accident we should be able to get this information for you.

I was involved in an accident with a motorist who does not have insurance and the accident was not my fault. It doesn’t seem right that I have to pay my $500 deductible on my insurance. Is there anything I can do?

Yes. RSA 417-A:11, Conditions Under Which Collision Coverage Deductible Shall Not Apply, states “When an automobile insurance coverage for physical damage by reason of collision, the deductible amount of such coverage shall not apply if the damage is caused by an uninsured motor vehicle, including motor vehicle which is uninsured within the definition of RSA 259:117, and the operator of the vehicle had been positively identified and is solely at fault.”

When do I have to report an accident to the Police?

According to N.H. RSA 264:25, Reporting Requirements: In the State of New Hampshire, any Motor Vehicle Accident causing death, personal injury, or combined damage in excess of $1,000 must be reported in writing to the Division of Motor Vehicles within 15 days.

This can be accomplished by calling the Police to the scene so that they can file a report. If the police file a report, this meets the above requirement, and you as the driver are not required to notify the Division of Motor Vehicles.

An alternative to calling the Police is to obtain a State of New Hampshire Motor Vehicle Accident Report form and complete it yourself and then mail it to the State. These forms are available at the Police Department, as well as at the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

How do I obtain a Record Check?

Only you can request a copy of your Criminal/Motor Vehicle record. All criminal and motor vehicle record checks are done at the NH State Police Criminal Records Department on Hazen Dr., Concord, NH (271-2538). They are open M-F 8:15 to 4:15, require a $15.00 fee and they are done while you wait. A photo ID is required to obtain the information.

You may obtain local records check from the Police Department. This will only contain information about your contact with the Police Department. You must present a valid picture identification to obtain such records. There is no fee, and they are completed while you wait, depending on staff availability.

How do I pay my traffic ticket?

Please follow the instructions that are printed on the back of the ticket regarding payment. If you choose to have a trial and are found guilty, the fine will be due at the conclusion of the trial, and payable that day at the court house.

How can I contest a traffic citation?

On the back of the pink copy the officer gave to you are several boxes that describe your options. You check the appropriate box and mail your ticket to the address on the back of the form. Your options include; pleading guilty and paying the appropriate fine,; pleading nolo (no admittance of guilt) and pay the fine, or you can plead not guilty and request a trial. The court will be notified of your request and a letter with a trial date will be mailed to your last known address.

I lost my traffic citation – What do I do?

Contact the Police Department. We can provide you with a copy.

I have a question regarding my traffic citation – Who do I ask?

Please contact the officer who issued the ticket.

How can I get my car out of impound?

If your car has been impounded as part of an investigation, the police department will contact you to let you know when the impound will be lifted. If your car has simply been towed, you pay the fees owed to the garage for any towing and storage and your car can be released.

How can I find out if my vehicle has been towed?

Before you park your car, check to make sure you are not in a prohibited parking zone, such as blocking a driveway, or otherwise creating a traffic hazard. Please park appropriately. The Police Department does keep a record of all vehicles towed for police purposes. You can contact the Police Department and ask any officer to check if your vehicle has been towed for a police reason.

How long does it take to bail someone who has been arrested?

Once a determination of bail has been obtained for an arrestee, the person who will be posting bail will be advised to have the appropriate cash and respond to the police department. The bail commissioners do not work for the Thornton Police Department; they work for the court. The Police Department cannot accept any money for bailing an arrestee.