Thornton, NH News & Notices

Public Notices and News:


                        SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2016

Plymouth Recycling Center  9am - 12 noon ~ 56 Beech Hill Road


Your Guide to the Reduction & Proper Disposal of Household Hazardous Waste


Notice of Public Hearing

The Board of Selectmen for the Town of Thornton will hold a Public Hearing on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at the Thornton Town Office beginning at 6:30pm to consider amending the Town of Thornton Fee Schedule per RSA 41:9-a.

The proposed schedule will be available at the Selectmen’s office and updated here.



 The Town of Thornton is accepting bids for the following paving projects. Bids shall be submitted as follows:

  Project 1:   

  • Pave approximately 1000’ of road 21’ wide using a 3/4 inch single course mix that meets/exceeds NHDOT standards for quality compacted to 2” thick.
  • Cost per ton installed for said area.
  • Cost per square yard to fine grade and compact

 Project 2:

  • Cost per ton to shim as needed and overlay approximately 1400 feet of road 21 feet wide using a 1/2 mix compacted to 1 ¼ inch minimum.
  • Cost per ton shall include tack coat per NHDOT standards.
  • Scheduling details for estimated start/completion dates if awarded shall be noted in the bid as this may affect the Towns decision.
  • Bids must be submitted in a sealed envelope and labeled “2016 Paving - Attention: Town Administrator” and mailed or delivered to 16 Merrill Access Road, Thornton, New Hampshire 03285.
  • All bids must be received at the Thornton Town Hall no later than 3:00PM on Friday, September 9, 2016.
  • The bids will be opened at the Thornton Town Hall on Monday, September 12, 2016 at 3:00PM.
  • The award process is scheduled for 6:30PM at the Board of Selectmen’s meeting on September 14, 2016.

 The Town reserves the right to reject any and all bids.

If any questions, please contact Road Agent John Kubik at 398-9444



 The Board of Selectmen is looking for residents of the Town of Thornton to serve as Alternate (Backup) Ballot Clerks for elections. Ballot Clerks are present for all of Election Day and stay to count the ballots.  State law requires a specific number of registered Democrats and registered Republican ballot clerks be available. The Town currently has 2 clerks for each party as required but are looking for backups.  You must be a registered and declared party voter of Thornton to hold such a position.


Please contact the Administrative Assistant at the Town Office at 726-8168 if you are interested in becoming an Alternate Ballot Clerk.




 The Town of Thornton tax maps and zoning maps are now available on the Town website at in the right side bar of the home page under          ON-LINE SERVICES.

 You can now view and print these pdf files from the convenience of your own on-line devices at no cost to you.


           TOWN OF THORNTON - Part-Time Job Notice


The Town of Thornton is seeking a candidate for an immediate opening for one (1)  part-time position of Board Assistant. The applicant will be responsible for performing clerical, legal and administrative work for the Town Administrator, Board of Selectmen, Planning and Zoning Boards.  This part-time position budgeted to work 8-14 hours a week. The position is labor grade 4 with an hourly pay range from $12.95/hr. to $15.02/hr. This position will remain open until filled by a qualified individual.

                        First round of application reviews will be May 25, 2016

                                         Applications must be submitted to:

Board of Selectmen

ATTN: Part-Time Board Assistant

16 Merrill Access Road

Thornton, NH  03285

Application and job description packet

                           Annual Town Report

The Town and School annual reports can be viewed by going to the DOCUMENTS LIBRARY from the Home Page of our website.


                 NOTICE:  Selectmen’s Office Closing

The Board of Selectmen for the Town of Thornton have determined to accommodate the request of the Supervisors of the Checklist, Moderator and Town Clerk by closing the Selectmen’s Office to regular business for the NH State Primary and the General  Election on the following dates:

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - NH Primary Election

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 - General Election



Click here for Contact Information, Hours of Operation and information on the Thornton Mall.  Click here for information on Recycling and the Fee Schedule.

                           2014 Revaluation

The 2014 Revaluation is complete. New property assessments are available as a PDF file here. [17.2 MB -- Large file: right-click to download]


NH DES Land Resources Management Permit Changes:

In an effort to provide a higher quality, more streamlined permitting process for the regulated public, most Land resources Management Programs (Alteration of Terrain Bureau, Subsurface Systems Bureau, Wetlands Bureau and the Shoreland Program) have updated their permit application forms.   All current application forms are available at their respective DES web pages and have a revision date of 01/01/2012 located within the footnote.

As of April 1, 2012, the Land Resources Management Programs will no longer be accepting outdated permit application forms. Going forward, all LRMP application forms will be simultaneously updated every 6 months. The next round of revisions is scheduled to occur on July 1, 2012. Land Resources Management, a subsection of the Water Division, coordinates communication and resources across those bureaus and programs that regulate land development projects that may impact state aquatic resources.

For more information, please visit the NH DES Land Resources Management web page at:


Division of Involuntarily Merged Lots

Chapter 206 (HB316) requires a municipality, upon request of the property owner, to divide lots that were involuntarily merged prior to September 18, 2010, subject to certain conditions:

1.  The request must be submitted to the governing body prior to December 31, 2016.

2.  If any owner in the chain of title from the date of the involuntary merger abandoned a lot line or took any other action indicating that the owner regarded the lots as merged, the municipaolity is not required to divide the lots.

3.  The legislation makes clear that separation of previously merged lots does not cure any non-conformity with current land use ordinances.

4.  The amendment authorizes a municipality to adopt ordinances that provide more generous relief than the statute.

5.  Municipalities must inform the public of this new law by posting a notice in a public place continuously from January 2012 until December 2016, and publish notices in the town's annual reports for years 2011 through 2015.